Like I said in my first post, I love to travel!
Right now I am currently visiting my family in South Florida for 8 days, then off to Peru for a school trip for 9 days. I am flying spirit airlines, they fly direct from Las Vegas to Fort Lauderdale and I had enough miles for a free trip, so I booked it. Plus they fly direct from Fort Lauderdale to Lima, Peru. The one problem with Spirit is they charge for any carry on that does not fit under the seat. It’s actually more expensive to carry on a bag, than to check it! But being lazy I hate checking bags! Who likes waiting around in baggage claim?? NOT this lazy girl!! AND to top it off Spirit has lowered its baggage weight limits from 50 lbs to 40 lbs. So 17 days of temperatures ranging from 95 degrees to 40 degrees, all under 40 lbs. Also I was in wedding, so I had to bring a bridesmaid dress with me as well!
So how does a Lazy Girl go about packing for a trip like this? It’s all about procrastination! I always hold out as long as possible to do laundry, that way I have all my wardrobe options available. Then as I’m folding and sorting through the clean laundry, two piles begin, those that will be put away and those that will be going on the trip with me. Now those in the put away pile, might not actually get put away before the trip (come on people I’m LAZY) but at least I know the pile is clean!
Once I have all the clothes I want to bring with me on my trip laid out, I begin the folding and rolling process. I like to roll my clothes, it leaves less wrinkles and takes up less space in my suitcase. So I roll everything first and put it in piles, shorts, shirts, pants, dresses, tank tops. Then I put the bigger items in the bottom of the suitcase and just work my way up. Once I have everything packed I attempt to lift the suitcase and judge how heavy it is.
I recently bought a digital luggage weighing scale from wal-mart (only $14) and it’s a LIFE (and money) SAVER! So everything was all packed up and it was time to weigh the suitcase. It was a whopping 49 lbs. Panic begins to set in (I get a lot of anxiety before traveling, can’t help it, it just happens) and I start trying to figure out what to dump from my bag. I figure I can try to sneak past spirit with a second small carry on tote bag, and put the bridesmaid dress and all my extra shoes in that bag. That only knocked the weight done 3 lbs, so I had 6 more to go! So the painful process of limiting clothes began, and I cry as every cute shirt gets removed from my bag. I get the bag done to 40.5 lbs and give up, and hope the guy at the airport is nice and will let me on.
Tips for a Lazy Packer:
- Kill two birds with one stone: sort laundry and stuff to pack at the same time, that way you’re not going through clothes twice.
- Buy a digital luggage scale: it keeps you on track so you’re not frantically moving things around at the airport, or having to pay high priced over weight fees!
- If you are going to more than one destination, try to re-wear items and bring pieces you can mix and match with other outfits.
- Bring as few shoes as possible! They take up a lot of space and weight! For 17 days I have three pairs of shoes!
- Lay things out that you are really important ahead of time, such as: passport, prescriptions, and hotel/rental confirmations. That way they are all together and ready to be packed away when the time comes.